We can help you to recruit the best and brightest new employees to your retail business, through our education and training programmes that prepare people with the essential retail skills. We recruit into a range of employment and apprenticeship opportunities across the shop floor, supply chain, support centres and distribution warehouses.
We’re here to guide you by:
• Providing impartial guidance, support and advice
• Helping you to understand what the levy means for your business and the options that are available
• Offering the latest updates on the levy announcements
• Supporting you in finding the right provider to deliver your provision through our network of trusted providers
• Facilitating the development of the new apprenticeship standards for retail.
We are working closely with employers and universities to develop a suite of retail apprenticeship degrees. The level 6 programmes will help retail staff at all levels benefit from higher education and will enable businesses to use their levy monies effectively. These are the first initiatives of their kind for retail which combine real-world best practice with innovative academic thinking.
The apprenticeship degrees will bring the world of business and education closer together by developing the high-level technical skills needed for retail jobs of the future. The standards also provide a progression pathway to develop new and existing employees.
• The level 6 Retail Leader Apprenticeship Degree is available for delivery. It will prepare participants to face the challenges of leading in the evolving and dynamic retail environment of the 21st century. The programme is delivered through a blended learning approach over a four year period (this is flexible). Employers can draw down up to £22,000 of their levy monies for this standard. Click here for more information and to view the standard.
• The level 6 Buying and Merchandising Apprenticeship Degree is currently in development.
Ongoing support through coaching and mentoring
Access to coaching and mentoring services help employees continually develop within your business.
Our new elevator mentoring programme in memory of Don McCarthy CBE ‘sends the elevator back down’ to those aspiring individuals who will benefit from the experience and expertise of mentors in their given field.
About the late Don McCarthy CBE
Don McCarthy CBE (19 June 1955 – 21 July 2018) was a British businessman who made his reputation in footwear retailing, first with Kurt Geiger, then with the Shoe Studio Group. Latterly he moved into general fashion retailing after acquiring the Rubicon Retail fashion business in 2005. From late 2006 to mid-2014 he was Executive Chairman of the House of Fraser department store group. Don was an active investor in retail businesses through his own fund, No 9 Investments Ltd. Privately he was a generous donor to charities, a great philanthropist and proud ambassador of retailTRUST.
He was well known for his mantra: “When you get to the top of your career, send the elevator back down for someone else.”
We are working closely with Don’s family to help individuals progress their retail careers through this programme.
Our workshops are aimed at providing HR professionals in retail with the knowledge and skills required for their role. Working with Squire Patton Boggs, the workshop programme this year focuses on topical employment law issues. All workshops cost £40 plus VAT. Our wellbeing customers can book onto any of the workshops for £20 plus VAT (when registering please specify that you are a wellbeing customer by ticking the appropriate box).
• June: GDPR - 12 months on
• July: Whistleblowing in the workplace
• October: Tackling difficult exits
• November: Managing mental health issues
Click here to download the workshop programme. To book your place, please click here.
Return to work initiatives
Working in partnership with your business, we can support the upskilling of employees who may be facing redundancy or returning to work following a career break. By delivering personal and practical workshops, we provide individuals with both the relevant life and digital skills to take up other opportunities across the industry or your business.