Latest information on the coronavirus (COVID-19)
Many retailers will have buying teams who travel to China and other areas of the world who may have concerns about the spread of the coronavirus. Please read on for a brief statement and links to further advice. You can also visit myrtwellbeing.org.uk for further support.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is advising against all non-essential travel to China including Hong Kong and Macau until more is known about the virus: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china
There are also warnings in place about travel to certain parts of northern Italy, Iran, South Korea and other countries in Asia and the Far East.
If you have recently travelled from one of the affected areas, or have had contact with someone who has, and you have flu-like symptoms, please contact 111 for advice and guidance. Do not attend hospital, your GP surgery or a pharmacy if you have concerns. Elderly people and those with underlying health conditions may be at a higher risk of being affected: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19
Access regular updates on the virus from the:
- Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
- World Health Organisation: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
The NHS advises the following to prevent the spread of the virus and other common viral conditions including colds and flu:
- Wash your hands often in warm, soapy water – and use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Keep your hands and fingers away from your eyes, nose and mouth
- Use a tissue when coughing or sneezing and bin tissues as quickly as possible
- Avoid close contact with people who are infected.
If you have recently travelled from one of the affected areas, or have had contact with someone who has, and you have flu-like symptoms, please contact 111 for advice and guidance before seeing your GP.